You may not be aware of the differences between storm doors and security doors, but those differences are distinct. In a nutshell, storm doors provide an extra layer of protection against harsh weather, while security doors offer extra protection against break-ins. Let’s go over the differences between these two door types.
A storm door is typically installed in front of your entry door, and is made out of heavy-duty materials, such as wood or metal. They usually feature glass panels that provide more light and viewing area while still keeping the elements out. Screens can be added to storm doors that provide ventilation while keeping out insects.
A security door is installed in front of your main entry door as well, but is made of heavier-duty materials than storm doors, such as wood or metal. They too have glass panels that allow for light infiltration but they are strong enough to deter burglars.
Benefits of Storm Doors in Michigan
- Protection from elements: Storm doors protect your home against heavy rains, strong winds, and other weather conditions.
- Ventilation: Storm doors provide ventilation while keeping out bugs and pests.
- Energy efficiency: Storm doors keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in winter with an extra layer of insulation.
Benefits of Security Doors in Michigan
- Protection from burglars: Security doors are built to deter burglars so it’s more difficult to break into your home.
- Peace of mind: Rest easy knowing your home is better protected against unwanted visitors.
- Insurance discounts: Many homeowners insurance companies will give you a discount for homes with security features such as security doors.
The main difference between these two door types is how much protection they provide. Storm doors protect against the elements only, while security doors protect against forced entry. Both are made of different materials, and can have added features such as deadbolts and locks. The one you choose will depend on what kind of protection you want.
If you want a more welcoming home in all seasons, custom storm doors are the answer. From glass panels that bring more natural light in winter months to onscreen locks in spring when rain is in the forecast, it’s easy to quickly change styles without the need to purchase another door.
Security doors are available in all shapes and sizes. If you want just a bit of extra protection but aren’t looking for something too imposing, try a half-height security screen. If the door opens onto highly-trafficked areas in your home, try a full-length security grill that you can take off when not needed.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Both types of doors may be cleaned with a mild and gentle soap and water solution. Stay away from harsh chemicals and abrasive cleaners, which can damage the door’s finish. Clean them regularly to maintain appearance and function.
Contact Iron Clad Security Products
Have more questions about storm and security doors? We have a wide selection and would be happy to speak with you about our durable security doors, gates and related products. Call us at (313) 837-0390 for a free quote and consultation.